The aim of the Big Sit is to record as many species as possible from a chosen 17-feet diameter circle in a 24 hour period, though realistically most sites are up and running for a period between dawn and dusk. From doing the Big Sit we hope to gain valuable data about visible migration and the birds in our area. We are also on a mission to exceed our species totals from previous years and we’ll let you know how we fared when we publish the results in the June newsletter. We will be operating from a series of public sites across the club area so why not come along and share in the fun? PROVISIONAL LIST below but check website for updates nearer the time:
1) FELBRIGG PARK & LAKE: Trevor Williams and gang / Dawn to dusk / We’ll have our camp on The Warren, the mound just above the lake.
2) PIGNEY’S WOOD: Stephanie Witham and Alan Stevens / 8:00am to midday / From the car park take the left hand path past the cottage and straight down to the canal. We will be along the bank to the right.
3) BLICKLING PARK: National Trust staff team / Times to be confirmed / The watch point will be located on the water meadows overlooking the River Bure at Itteringham Common, approximate map reference TG155302. Access will be via the public footpath that meets ‘The Common’ at TG154299. Limited parking will be made available in the farmyard opposite (see signage on the day) but there is plenty of space at the Woodgate car park (fee applies) a 5 minute walk away. We urgently need volunteers for the Blickling Park site. National Trust staff and volunteers are keen to participate but are in need of some NENBC birders to assist on the rota. If you can help, please contact Lin Pateman as soon as possible on email@example.com or 01263 587262. Thank you!
4) WEYBOURNE CAMP COAST PATH: Phil Borley and Russell Page / First light to lunchtime / We will be on the coastal path this year, not within the camp itself. Park at the pay and display (or road alongside for free) at Weybourne Beach car park. Just walk left along the shingle from the car park and you’ll spot us up on the path.
5) HOLT LOWES Lin Pateman and gang / Dawn to dusk / Parking is either at Holt Country Park car park or the field before the main car park. From Holt Country Park car park where there is a charge, follow the path from the car park past the pond and go through the gate into the Lowes and you will be at a high point where you can look across to find us! Alternatively, if you park in the field before the main car park, the entrance is on the right on the Edgefield side of the main Holt Road. We will set up our base camp (chairs and scopes) on a high point (TG086373) situated right of the stile which is at the bottom of the field overlooking the Lowes (Lin Pateman 01263 587262)
6) KELLING HEATH: Phil Borley hopefully with some friends! / 1:00pm to dusk / Weather permitting, we will have an afternoon only location for the first time. From the car park, go to the railway crossing, turn left along the track to the high point and we’ll be based there until dusk.